What is Custom-fitted Total Knee Arthroplasty?
Custom-fitted total knee arthroplasty is a newer more advanced technology in total knee replacement surgery that uses an individualized patient-specific knee implant for the replacement of all three components of the knee.
The difference with custom knee replacement from other knee replacement surgeries is the use of an MRI scan prior to the surgery to obtain a clear view of the shape and structure of the different components of the joint. The implants are then designed specifically to match the natural shape of the articulating surfaces of your knee based upon the MRI. Unlike other knee replacement surgeries, custom-fitted total knee replacement can also be used for severe knee arthritis.
Custom-fitted Total Knee Arthroplasty Procedure
Prior to the surgery, several MRI scans are taken to understand the specific anatomy of the affected joint. Along with the MRI images, a special tool called a jig is also used to provide a clear view of implantation. The patient-specific jigs have built-in image guidance that simplifies the surgical procedure and improves the outcome. Based on the MRI images, your surgeon plans the surgery and calculates the cutting measurements, which help your surgeon to remove the exact amount of bone, at specific angles. This customized cut provides better implantation, more reliable alignment, and removal of less amount of bone.
Benefits of Custom-fitted Total Knee Arthroplasty
There are several advantages to customized total knee replacement arthroplasty over the regular traditional implants, which include:
- No compromise on the size of the implant as it is patient-specific
- Provides a better fit of the implant as the implant conforms to your unique shape of the articulating surfaces of the knee joint
- Maximizes the implants contact area, decreasing the polyethylene contact stress; thereby, prolonging the life of the implant
- Preserves more natural bone
- Maximizes proximal tibial coverage and thus reduces the risk of tibial implant caving in and loosening
Other Knee Procedures